Thursday, December 16, 2010

Gingerbread Christmas Tree Sandwich Cookies/ Gingerbread Christmas trees

I started baking Christmas cookies yesterday. I've been wanting to try Martha Stewart's Gingerbread recipe for some time now. The dough was so easy to work with unlike other sugar cookie dough recipes I've tried before which were sticky. I lessened the amount of ground ginger and pepper coz it might be too spicy for the kids's taste. I also lessened the amount of sugar since I'll be decorating the Gingrebread Christmas tree with royal icing. Sis commented about the sweet and spicy smell of gingerbread baking in the oven! It was absolutely divine! Even Dad asked what I was baking coz he could smell the aroma of spiced gingerbread. I turned half of the batch into Gingerbread Christmas Tree Sandwich Cookies and filled them with cream cheese frosting. They were softly baked and turned out delish!



Martha Stewart's Gingerbread Snowflakes Recipe


  • 6 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
  • 1 cup packed dark-brown sugar
  • 4 teaspoons ground ginger
  • 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
  • 1 teaspoon finely ground pepper
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 cup unsulfured molasses
  • Royal icing
  • Fine sanding sugar, for sprinkling


  • Directions
    1. Sift together flour, baking soda, and baking powder into a large bowl. Set aside.
    2. Put butter and brown sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; mix on medium speed until fluffy. Mix in spices and salt, then eggs and molasses. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture; mix until just combined. Divide dough into thirds; wrap each in plastic. Refrigerate until cold, about 1 hour.
    3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll out dough on a lightly floured work surface to a 1/4-inch thick. Cut into snowflakes with a 7- inch snowflake-shape cookie cutter. Space 2 inches apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper, and refrigerate until firm, about 15 minutes.
    4. Bake cookies until crisp but not dark, 12 to 14 minutes. Let cool on sheets on wire racks.
    5. Put icing in a pastry bag fitted with a small plain round tip (such as Ateco #7). Pipe designs on snowflakes; immediately sprinkle with sanding sugar. Let stand 5 minutes; tap off excess sugar. Let icing set completely at room temperature, about 1 hour. Store cookies between layers of parchment in an airtight container at room temperature up to 5 days.



    I used this set of Wilton twinkling treats sprinkles to decorate the gingerbread Christmas trees



















    The nutmeg shouldn't be in this pic. I thought I got ahold of the ground ginger. I only realized I grabbed the wrong spice when I downloaded the pictures. lol!






    Gingerbread Christmas Tree Sandwich Cookie










    with Cream cheese frosting: I used 8 oz cream cheese, 1/4 cup powdered sugar, 1 tsp lemon juice and lemon zest.







    Gingerbread Christmas trees







    Individually wrapped












    Want some?




    23 comments:

    pinayrichmom said...

    yes, can I have some please? :)

    Alice Law said...

    Thank you for sharing the recipe, that's very kind of you!^-^

    Btw, mind of I know where can I find unsulfured molasses? Merry Christmas to you!

    Mummy Moon said...

    Very nice baking! I like the girls dress up so red! I can feel the holiday season now...

    goldflower86 said...

    wow! sobs i wish i know how to bad too! those look beautiful!too bad i where i live here can't bake . i would love to try that if i have my own kitchen!

    Pinx said...

    wow! you are one talented woman! idol! hehehehe... i wish i had that in me... anyways, thanks for the comment on my blog. have a Merry Christmas!!!

    J said...

    Where do you get Wilton stuff in Pinas?

    UmmiRosma said...

    Oh I adore your creativity my darling. The Wilton's products are rare here in Brunei and they cost a bomb here too!


    I can see the christmas spirit in your home is in the air already...looking forward to see more of your stories...happy holidays!

    Sera said...

    That definitely looks yummy!
    and beautiful cookies as well!
    Merry Christmas to u and family.
    Cheers!

    cherrylej said...

    thanks for sharing your craft :)

    sis, where can I buy cookie cutters?
    and the wilton twinkling treat sprinkle?

    thank you in advance, have a great day! :)

    bluedreamer27 said...

    waaaah so cute...
    wish i know how to bake...

    this is a perfect Christmas treat

    bluedreamer27 said...

    thanks for sharing us another of your creative masterpiece

    Mayet said...

    wow, galing!

    elpi said...

    Nice Christmas tree, galing mo naman

    stevevhan said...

    Why?





    Why oh why?your site's always making me crave for those sweet foods----in sense, like a brand, soothing me!

    hahaha. I think those really taste good!

    MommyAngel said...

    That's a very very nice gingerbread Christmas trees you made there!! And love your pictures too :) The kids looks so happy :)

    Merry Christmas to you!

    Liz said...

    wow u are so creative...christmas is coming !!!..ssooooonn

    bluedreamer27 said...

    hi anney... do you hve a facebook account? or a mybloglog account? have to sent you a messge in private but i don't know how and where can i send you my message
    please let me know

    LHEY said...

    yummy naman!!! galing talaga ni Annie. Thanks for sharing.

    anney said...

    @cherrylej
    Nakabili ako ng isang set ng Christmas cookie cutters sa Cooks Exchange sa megamall. Yung Wilton twinkling treat sprinkles bigay lang sakin yun from my Aunt in California. Sya din nagbigay sakin ng isang set ng Wilton halloween cookie cutters. Yung iba naman na cookie cutters ko like yung set ng bugs e sa ebay ko binili. Kadalasan pag may gusto ako at alam kong wala dito sa ebay ako naghahanap.

    tim said...

    mommy ang charap charap po.. hehehehehe

    cherrylej said...

    thank you so so much for the tips and your reply, and thank you for blogging, take care of yourself always and God bless :)

    SimpleMomRizza said...

    I want some Anney!!!

    eden said...

    I really want some please? so talented mo Anney.

    Merry Christmas!

    Related Posts with Thumbnails